Pages

Monday, January 31, 2011

custom painting 101

"You gain strength, courage and confidence by every experience in which you really look fear in the face. You must do the thing which you think you cannot do." Eleanor Roosevelt

When I was pregnant with Hannah, I looked at her empty walls in the nursery and told myself I should paint something on them. And....so all big and round in month 8 I did. A tree, grass, clouds on ceiling (Daddy did that), birds, a window, picket fence, flowers. I never realized that her room would have opened up a door for me for the next 11 years in an art business. One person saw the room, then another, and then word spread. I have never advertised since. It has all been word of mouth. For 5 years I did wall murals when my Mom would watch the girls until I tuckered myself out without having any help, then moved onto doing a some shows, canvas, wood, furniture painting for a baby boutique in town. So here I am. Really blessed and happy to have had a part-time (although inconsistent at times), set my own hours job for the past decade or so. I am feeling like I lack in the business and administration part of everything, but I think that will come down the road when I figure out what ONE thing I want to market myself with. Not there yet.

I often think I don't have a solid, cohesive look or style. I've done mainly kids stuff because that's where I was in life when I started and where I still am. Starting as a young artist and then pursuing it in college a tad, I'm trying to embrace the process of growing as an artist and knowing it just might take some time to get where I want. I am continuing to dream about the next avenue I want to take. In the midst of learning, changing and balancing who I am- I'm still chugging along with custom stuff.

This post is a look at how I go about doing customized work. I always want to remember how I started. Whether it's been a simple name sign, frame, canvas, mural or furniture- this is how it goes. Here is a toy box that I have been working on. I haven't done furniture in awhile and thought it would be fun. A gal's father-in-law built it for her and she wanted it to be handpainted as a sweet heirloom piece. Super special and I was happy to cute it up.


Here is a basic 10-step way I paint most personalized items:
1. Sand and smooth out piece. Base coat with Kilz primer. Perhaps sand again.
2. Choose 3-4 colors to work with and base coat main colors. I mix within those for darker and lighter shades. It just gives a more uniform look and looks balanced to use only a few colors.
3. Using a good brush add texture freehand, work with stamps, painters tape, bubble wrap, foam blocks etc. Whatever inspires me. I usually use tone on tone (darker/lighter shade on top of the base coat) for this step.
4. Have a design or main concept to be the focal point. With this toy box, it was the bird and branches.
5. Work with fabric, magazine ideas, room decor, and sketch out some thoughts on paper. I get those from the client or on my own; usually bedding, rug, special request, room colors, etc.
6. Pencil in the main design and get started on the details.
7. Step back and really look at it. Walk away a bit. It's always looks newer the next day to work on.
8. Touch up and add final strokes with accents of brown, white, black or a dominant color to make the entire piece "pop".
9. Seal it with a water-based polyurethane sealant. This can be brushed or sprayed (with furniture- brush it on).
10. Voila! Too fun.
Here is the final piece. The client wanted it to have a simple-grow-with-her-daughter design. With the fabric and stuff she gave me I figured it was a "victorian-modern-potterybarnkids" look. I think that's the hardest part in doing this kind of painting. I always tell them to give me or share as much as they can so that I can paint what they are thinking in their head. Alot of clients just tell me "oh, I trust you- just do whatever you think".  Love that!




Blog Design by Caked Designs