Pages

Friday, February 5, 2010

journal delights


I have lots of questions. Don't we all? I'm wanting to be patient towards my heart and trying to love the questions themselves. After all, I wouldn't be able to live in the now if I wasn't. To be able to live in the delightful, blessed day that we are all given (love the word delightful!). 

One of the many things this year I want to do is to come into and draw nearer to my authentic, creative self. To embrace the questions, be intentional, excite my God-purpose, and listen to the small whispers of my heart within that. I yearn to pause and breathe. To take a gentler path. To brightly and confidently smile within all that is so graciously given to me each and every day (yes- within the demands of kids, meetings, worries...garbage to take out). 



I've started an illustrated discovery journal. I've journaled for years. Whether it's lots of prayers, happenings, frustrations...journals have been healing, releasing and just plain healthy. (Plus, it is cool to look back at your days; your happy's and your sad's; how you have overcome and grown.) The 2010 journal this year will be different. It is an illustrated one. Filled so far with decorating ideas, feelings, sketches, bible scriptures, magazine clippings, even my sweet Lauren drew a waterfall in it. It just has stuff I like in it along with some dreams, wishes...me. Real life stuff. Kind of a treasure map collage I suppose. It's messy, honest, and delightful to do!

I typically read 3 books or so at a time (not all at once, silly!). Two that I am reading right now encourage and inspire journaling. I read the Simple Abundance devotional through 1996 when I was going through a turning point in my life, and I've dusted it off and picked it up again this year. (It's really wonderful, girls!) A new book I'm enjoying is The Creative License. It's for anyone that has a creative fire burning in their belly (that'd be me) and doesn't know what to do with it at times... or is just plain stuck. 

You don't have to be all expressive, deep or have something to conquer to journal. Just get a cheap, 8x10" or smaller/bigger artist sketchbook at a craft store. Get some pens/pencils (fun colored pencils) a glue stick, scissors and an open heart. It should be whatever you want it to be...whenever (no pressure) you want. Take the perfection blinders off (I have those) and let yourself go. 

There are things about ourselves that we tuck far away. It is fun and enlightening to dig in.



Blog Design by Caked Designs