Pages

Tuesday, April 12, 2011

Santa Fe

"Where I was born and where and how I have lived is unimportant. It is what I have done with where I have been that should be of interest." Georgia O'Keeffe
My hard-workin-honey had some work down in Santa Fe this past week and he insisted that I would go with him. Insisted. Ooookaaay. haThe drive down from here was about 5 hours and it was a spectacular mountain drive. We got down to our old, beautiful downtown El Dorado hotel and IT was spectacular. The architecture everywhere is so native and over 400 years old. Santa Fe is America's oldest capital city. We chowed at a local Mexican restaurant with way-too-ohmygoodness-good-margaritas. Gettin' away like this was just what was needed. My Mom kept the girls, so no worries there, she was happy to be around them because it had been too long not.
Well, the next day- Josh had to work so....he ordered a hot stone massage and a day of shopping for me. What. a. guy. I. have. It was delightful being on my own in such an artistic and eclectic place. I only touched upon the over 200 galleries, old buildings, sculptures, turquoise jewelry, sites and world class food. All are one of a kind.
There is a strip of local Native Americans selling handmade jewelry. They just lay blankets out and sell their beautiful sterling silver/turquoise/beaded things. Most of them had symbols hand stamped on them. I got a sterling guitar pic for Josh that had a bear, arrows, sunrise on it (for strength/protection/direction) and I got a tiny bracelet with a small turquoise on it with sunrise symbols (meaning new beginnings). It was neat talking to some of the natives, of whom still belonged to tribes.
Here's the old hotel we stayed at and their restaurant had THE best steaks. The pool/hot tub on top of the roof and wood burning fireplace in our room topped off our 2 night stay. It was really special for me to wear some of the beautiful Indian handmade jewelry that was Grandma Foster's from the 1920's when we had our fancy dinner there.
I didn't want to leave!

After the best french toast breakfast of my life in another popular local place we headed to the Georgia O'Keeffe museum. I must say, I have always loved her but now I adore her even more. Her life. The way she looked and enjoyed her surroundings. Her ways of abstract freedom in her art... an inspiration I tell ya. I actually got teary eyed when I watched the little documentary film of her life and some of the things she said about art. It would have been touching for any creative spirit.
There is so much more to do and see there. It will be saved for next time. I now know why everybody that has gone to Santa Fe has told me to go. The southwest organic style and art/design is unmatched.
okay- one more picture...
Blog Design by Caked Designs